Friday, June 24, 2011

33 years ago today....

Well hello again. I decided to write another blog. It's called Sliced Bread cause what could be better. I got rid of the old because I hate to be censored. Maybe I will try real hard to not write anything that will need to be censored in the "I am private" catagory. There is something too about people from places in the world I can't even pronounce reading my words. Maybe this one will be more private.
On to the wedding thirty three years ago. About this time that many years ago, my Mama and I were sitting at the kitchen table seeing how much wine we could get down before the nuptials began.( See picture of huge smile on her face) I can't remember what kind but I'm sure it had scupenines in it or a red with a frosty chill! Haha!  My mother planned my whole wedding. I wasn't really interested in the wedding part. I was more interested in the married part. She would say how about this or that and I would say fine. I remember vividly going to the bridal store and heading straight for the clearance rack of winter gowns, trying on the first one and saying OK it fits, this will do. Never in my wildest dreams did I think about it being a "pass downable" dress. It still hangs in my closet all yellow and I pull it out sometimes and laugh. You see, it is a mass of polyester. I think my daughter was going to dress up for Halloween as The Bride of Frankenstein once and then decided on Carrie the girl that the bucket of blood falls down on instead.  I remember my china was involved in a UK dock strike and I needed to change patterns according to Macy's. I had Hunka's mom go pick out a new pattern as she was more interested in that stuff, so whatever. The only head butting thing I can remember was that my MIL insisted that my showers were put into the society section of the paper. I put my foot down on that. I am not the society page type. My mother made all of the food, made all of the tablecloths and borrowed the reception flowers in pots from the local flower shop. I can't remember who made the bouquets. I am sure I did not plan them. I had one request that my friend's father marry us and that Corinthian 1:13 be said. No singers, no speeches and we were done in about 15 minutes. Good deal...on to HH for the honeymoon. I was right as rain and the whole thing might not have been better than sliced bread but here we are 33 years later still celebrating the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it actually was better than sliced bread, given who you are, and where you are together. I can't tell you how happy I am you are blogging again, I missed you and Juicy Fruit and your wisdom and well, being the era we live in and the way we all live, maybe private just doesn't exist anymore, just maybe people wish it did. Not me, never did have much of that in me. Here's to 33 years, a polyester dress, and mostly the story of it all.

Dena said...

Thanks, Lucie. You are the BEST!